Re: Interesting hypothetical...

Stephen Faust wrote:

> There is very little that can withstand the combined fire power of a
> modern infantry platoon. The raptors would have to achieve complete
> surprise from very close quarters to prevail. A unit with a minigun or m
> - 60 machinegun would reduce a tyrannosaur to bloodly slosh in seconds.A
> raptor pack would have about the same chance as a group of peasents with
> hay forks. Considering the speed and agility of birds and , therefore,
> probably therapods like raptors, I wouldn't want one after me no matter
> how I was equipped. But a modern military unit is disciplined and would
> deliver concentrated fire where it would do the most good.

Ah, the arrogance . . . <G>

If it ever really happened, the outcome of a raptors-vs-marines battle
would depend on three things: the terrain, the local plant life and
other cover, and the ability of the humans to apply the intelligence
they allegedly have.  Arrogant, overconfident humans in heavy cover --
ie, standard tropical or dense deciduous forest, on level or gently
rolling ground -- wouldn't stand a chance no matter how heavily armed
they were.  (Look at what happened to Muldoon in JP.)  Humans who act as
if they're hunting other humans wouldn't stand a chance either, nor
would humans who underestimate the enemy.  Careful, crafty humans that
use the cover well would have a better than even chance of winning.  In
the open or in very hilly, rocky country, the humans would also have an
advantage -- but they'd still have to use it properly.  In any case,
simply trusting technology is the _wrong_ way to think.  The standard
M-16 round is a high-velocity 5.56mm solid bullet.  With a rifle and a
round like that, you would need a heart or brain shot to drop a
_Deinonychus_ in its tracks.  Even with mushrooming rounds, many animals
can stay alive and fighting after multiple hits in the body.  An awful
lot of big-game hunters have made the very lethal mistake of assuming
that shock from a gut shot would stop an angry lion or bear.

-- JSW