F-22 RAPTOR

George wrote:

> Now there's a jet fighter (F-22 whatever) called the Raptor. Had its maiden
> flight a couple of days ago, according to the news. It better be named after
> the birds...

The Air Force began regularly naming its fighter planes after birds of prey
back in the '70s. The F-22 Raptor is (despite what I'm sure far too many
people believe) just one more in that thematic line. Other Air Force names
for fighter jets: F-15 Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon, AV-8 Harrier, A-4
Skyhawk, F-117 Nighthawk (not technically a bird of prey, but what the
hey...). Thanks to Dan LoRusso of The Dinosaur Studio for this information.

Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)