Re: T-rex predation

I don't know too much about energy budgets, etc., but offhand I can't
think of any modern ecosystems where the *largest* carnivore is
primarily a scavenger.  IMHO (and I'm sure that several have
expressed this point before me), tyrannosaurs seem WAY overdesigned
for scavenging.

I've got a couple of questions.  First, I'm primarily interested in
the Lower Cretaceous and my knowledge of the Late Cretaceous lacks
depth.  That said, I have the impression that the spectrum of
late K carnivores has dromaeosaurs at the small end, tyrannosaurs at
the large end, and not a whole lot in between.  Is this accurate?
And if so, if the tyrannosaurs were just scavengers, who was doing
the predation?  Is it realistic to suppose that dromaeosaur packs
were the main predators of multi-ton ceratopids, hadrosaurs, and
ankylosaurs?

Before somebody flames me regarding dromaeosaur capabilities, I
certainly think that a pack could take down a lone individual from
one of the above groups (well, maybe not the ankylo), but I just
can't see them doing ALL the bladework.

There's my two cents,
Matt Wedel