Re: TLW and JP and my question

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Harold Hutchison wrote:

>   Folks,
>       Fair enough.  Sorry, I'm used to the level of research that
>   Tom Clancy has done for his books.  Guess Spielberg is not up to that
>   standard.  See if I belive one more word he says about dinosaurs
>   AGAIN...
>       My apologies for cluttering the list.

It's not a matter of blindly believing--or disbelieving--anything that
he or anybody else says. It's simply a matter of doing some of your own
research, or even just thinking about the subject at hand and asking
someone knowlegeable _if_ that subject has been accurately depicted. As
far as dinosaurs go, you can't ask for a better place to begin doing that
than this mailing list.

Debates based on ignorant premises, no matter how well-intentioned, can
serve no positive purpose. But getting those premises corrected surely
can. Some of us are on this list and have fossil collections in our
basements because of an interest in dinosaurs rekindled by Jurassic Park.

I know, because I'm one of them.

|If men are to be made submissive, the obstacle is not their feelings, |
|their wishes or their "instincts", but their minds; if men are to be  |
|ruled, then the enemy is reason.                          -- AYN RAND |