Re: T-rex predation

Dictator-for-life Calvin wrote:
> I don't know too much about energy budgets, etc., but offhand I can't
> think of any modern ecosystems where the *largest* carnivore is
> primarily a scavenger.

I can think of some pretty dang big scavengers in modern ecosystems.
If Baleen whales don't count as 'hunters" (since they feed on
microscopic animals, I don't think of the big ones that way-they're just
filter feeding on other animals, not stalking, or killing or maiming
another animal) then the next largest groups include true carnivores in
the toothed whales and sharks which both certainly scavenge. And do we
know what giant squid eat, and if they are hunters or scavengers?

--
           Betty Cunningham