Re: T.rex Predation and/or scavenging

Judy Molnar writes;

>Like any good survivor, T. rex was an opportunist and did
>whatever came easiest in that particular situation.

Which is common for all predators, since it has to use energy is required to
get it's meal (the economic idea of spending money so you can make money; i.e.
advertizing).

Throughout this thread, some of the common themes sound suspiciously similar to
what people were saying about great white sharks a few years back.  When I was
growing up, people kept saying that, although these sharks were big, they were
innefficient as active predators.  I also heard commentators say that these
were rather slow sharks.  Even though these ideas came from shark-cage
encounters, where high-speed predation isn't needed, it was taken as the norm
for the species.  Further reports of white shark stomachs containing all kinds
of wierd garbage reinforced the idea that these sharks were merely scavangers.

A couple of years back, this picture of white sharks has changed.  Recent, and
relatively non-biased research has shown that these are cunning, efficent, and
FAST predators (a video camera that had been placed on a floating board by the
researchers was attacked by a white shark; believe me, that fish can move!!!).
In the Meditteranian Sea, sharks have been found to take tuna and bottle-nose
dolphins when the opportunity arose.  Again, it was seen that this animal will
scavange dead fish/sharks/whales when it gets the chance (one report said that
sharks in some areas may get their entire food supply from scavanging dead
whales).  Yet, the shark is not against hunting food for itself.

Along similar lines to what others have said, a big predator, like a
tyrannosaur or albertosaur, is certainly not prevented from active hunting.  It
will cheat when it gets a chance, and scavange, but if a live meal is
attainable, it probably wouldn't have passed it up.

Shalom,

Rob Meyerson

***
"Keep your stick on the ice."