What?! _T. rex_ 65 ft. high & 98 ft. long? Reuters again!

    Where does Reuters get its (mis)information (see paragraph seven)? Who
writes this stuff? Will
someone with credentials *please* set them aright? *My* fulminations to Reuters
count for naught.
> T-Rex ate "like a shark"

> LEEDS, England - Tyrannosaurus Rex tore its prey to pieces by grabbing
> hold with its teeth and shaking its head like a shark, a Russian
> scientist said Thursday.

> "Shake-feeding" was the only way to explain why the ferocious dinosaur
> had a hugely powerful head and neck but relatively tiny front claws, Dr.
> Theagarten Lingham-Soliar told Britain's main annual science festival.
>
> Unveiling his new theory, Lingham-Soliar, of the Russian Academy of
> Sciences, said: "Any animal, and this has been been established with
> crocodiles and sharks, that shake feeds needs a heavily reinforced skull
>
> "These conditions are very well developed in Tyrannosaurus. Another
> point about shake feeding is that invariably animals that shake feed
> don't have functional anterior limbs for grasping their prey."
>
> The expert dismissed other theories suggesting that Tyrannosaurus was a
> relatively slow animal which scavenged or rammed its prey.
>
> "I don't accept that. It's like you running with your mouth open at a
> brick wall. You can imagine what can happen to your teeth," he told
> reporters.
>
> Instead, he said, the huge dinosaur -- which grew as high as 65 ft. and
> could reach 98 ft. in total length -- hunted and ran fast.
>
> It either ripped off chunks if the prey was big enough or, more
> commonly, shook its prey until bite-sized pieces, as big as a man, came
> off.
>
> Sharks, some crocodiles and killer whales show similar feeding habits.
> Killer whales tossing seals into the air were not playing but breaking
> up their food, said Lingham-Soliar.

                                             -= Tuck =-
                                          tuckr@digital.net
    | Visit the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium & Observatory            |
    |Web Page at http://www.brevard.cc.fl.us/~planet/                        |