Re: T.rex Predation and/or scavenging

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:26:38 -0500 (CDT) Kevin James Dracon
<jconrad@lib.drury.edu> writes:

>> Maybe he was built large to be efficient in covering lots of ground,
>so
>> he could either find carcasses to scavenge or hunt down prey by
>ambush.
>> It seems T. rex has adaptations to do both hunting and scavenging,
>and
>> since hunting and scavenging are lifestyles that share many
>adaptations I
>> don't think we can ever conclude T. rex was predominantly a hunter
>or a
>> scavenger.  Like any good survivor, T. rex was an opportunist and
>did
>> whatever came easiest in that particular situation.
>>
>> Judy Molnar
>
>Sounds good, I agree with your last stand especially.  Also, thanks
>for
>setting me straight on the turkey vulture (another msg), but do all
>vultures have smell?

No.  Black vultures and California condors find their prey by sight
alone.  Turkey vultures use sight and a well-developed sense of smell.  I
am not familiar enough with the Old World family of vultures to be able
to comment on their abilities to find prey by the sense of smell.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com