Re: Semper Die(again)

Kevin James Dracon wrote:

> It seems that a lot of people are down on JP and TLW.  However, I believe
> that these movies have greatly increased the public interest in dinosaurs.
> This may mean (I could be wrong) that more people will go to the museums,
> and if so (this is really sticking my neck out) perhaps there will be
> more money going into paleontology because of this.  SO, even though it
> may be inaccurate in many ways and somewhat misinforming to the public,
> the movie industry is helping paleontology overall (if my hypothesis is
> correct) and therefore should be spared at least some of the tongue
> lashings.

This is definitely true in my home town of San Diego; our Natural
History Museum recently had an exhibit on the dinos of Jurassic Park and
The Lost World, citing the differences between the movies and reality.
So the movies generate interest and the museums correct the errors.
Works out pretty well.  :)  And, to be fair, the movies made an attempt
to be accurate; the attempt had mixed results, but it was better than
anything to come before it.  You have to take the good with the bad, but
based on my fossil safari this summer (i.e., tour of some half dozen or
so museums in the U.S. and Canada) I can definitely tell there's a lot
more interest in dinos than in past years.  Not necessarily due to the
movies, but I can't think of another cause.

Chris