Re: T.rex Predation and/or scavenging

> "deal with bones" in what way?  Crushing? From other discussions on this
> list, T. rex's teeth were not adapted for bone crushing, per se.  Look at
> a hyena's teeth, which are adapted specifically to crush bone and extract
> marrow.  The shape of T. rex's teeth are no where near the right shape.
> Maybe T. rex could snap bones into smaller pieces and just swallow, but I
> can't see those teeth being able to crush bones.

     Hell Creek Triceratops remains (and T.rex remains from South Dakota)
have been found that have been worked over pretty well by T.rex.  Both
have vertebrae that have been chewed completely through, and the
Triceratops pelvis has also had quite a bit bitten off. T.rex was
certainly capable of chewing through bone.  Those teeth may not be
ideal crushing postincisors like a hyena has, but they are fairly
robust, and they ARE replacable.  There is also the "attack survivor" DMNH
Edmontosaurus tail, which definitely involves heavy duty bone damage to
the neural spines.  I'm afraid I don't have the chewed up Triceratops
reference handy; it was published in SVP a year or two ago, and is a VERY
neat little paper.

LN Jeff
O-