Re: rex scavenge (was: DROMAEOSAUR "SICKLE" CLAWS)

> You seem to misunderstand the problem (as I see it at least).  I believe
> that the point of Chris' argument here was mainly in energy expenditure
> (forgive me, Chris, if I am putting words in your mouth).  True, it is
> important that vultures find the carrion rather quickly, but MORE
> important that they find it while expending very, very, little energy.

     This is certianyl useful, but is it neccessary?  If the carcass is
within feasably walking distance, and the T.rex gets a full belly
(complete energy refund), what difference does it make?

> If we assume that tyrannosaurs were scavenging their meals
> (primarily at least), then what other predator is around to kill the large
> hadrosaurs and ceratopsians?  Unless you rely on the idea that there were
> enough animals dying without predation, just lying around, for the
> carnivores to scavenge.

       This last is my own main concern with the idea of T.rex as a pure
scavenger.  But as far as the relative abundance of predator-killed vs.
old age, sickness etc. carcasses, do you have any hard data to suggest
that most large dead animals in a given area were really killed by
predators?

LN Jeff
O-