Re: T.rex Predation and/or scavenging

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:35:46 -0600 (MDT) Jeffrey Martz
<martz@holly.ColoState.EDU> writes:

>> "deal with bones" in what way?  Crushing? From other discussions on
>this
>> list, T. rex's teeth were not adapted for bone crushing, per se.
>Look at
>> a hyena's teeth, which are adapted specifically to crush bone and
>extract
>> marrow.  The shape of T. rex's teeth are no where near the right
>shape.
>> Maybe T. rex could snap bones into smaller pieces and just swallow,
>but I
>> can't see those teeth being able to crush bones.
>
>     Hell Creek Triceratops remains (and T.rex remains from South
>Dakota)
>have been found that have been worked over pretty well by T.rex.  Both
>have vertebrae that have been chewed completely through, and the
>Triceratops pelvis has also had quite a bit bitten off. T.rex was
>certainly capable of chewing through bone.  Those teeth may not be
>ideal crushing postincisors like a hyena has, but they are fairly
>robust, and they ARE replacable.

Good point(s)! ;-)  [I couldn't resist the pun]

>There is also the "attack survivor"
>DMNH
>Edmontosaurus tail, which definitely involves heavy duty bone damage
>the neural spines.  I'm afraid I don't have the chewed up Triceratops
>reference handy; it was published in SVP a year or two ago, and is a
>VERY
>neat little paper.

Thank you.  I was aware of tooth marks on various hadrosaur bones, but
not aware of such extensive damage on others.  Thanks to others for also
pointing this out.  References are appreciated if handy.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com