T.rex Predation and/or scavenging

I wrote an article for our newsletter earlier this year, and I came across
an interesting fact. The Nautilus that is still alive today, has it's
origins some 300 million years ago, they started orthoconic (strait) than
became planispiral (coiled). Over this time they share one basic jaw
structure, the modern Nautilus is primarily a scavenger, some evidence
shows it more of an opportunist. The Ammonite is many times more diverse,
in shell type and jaw structure. The interesting thing is the modern
Nautilus, undeniably a  wonderful representative of a shelled cephalopod,
is not used as a model for some hypothetical body functions. I say
hypothetical, because for example in sexual dimorphism the male Ammonite is
generally thought to be many times smaller than the female, but our model
the Nautilus, has the male larger but only by about 2 cm. The whole story
is more complex, if anyone is interested I can elaborate.

So, if birds and lizards in all there highly specialized diversity, are
"descendants of dinosaurs"; and dinosaurs are highly specialized in
diversity of size and shape, why is it marginally likely that a long
serrated slicing tooth be used for crushing anything?  It is more likely
that a soaurian scavenger specialized for "crushing" would have highly
specialized crushing teeth somewhere in it's jaws.

I will be in and out of town for the next month, so any response may not be
prompt.

Rod

P.S. No doubt I will somehow be roasted for writing this...I'm used to it,
I tell everyone I am half black, but it's really carbon residue.