Re: TLW and JP and the accuracy of authors

> From:          kmh <lonid@netone.com>

> I can't speak for Don or David, or the zillion other writers of
> nonfiction out there, but I can tell you MY editors are a stubborn lot,
> and they very often play it a little loose with my "facts" once the
> checks are issued.  It isn't always OUR fault things get distorted.
>
> Fact is, I'm a single mom, responsible for feeding two kids.  I'm
> assuming others have bills to pay too.  I do my very best to do good,
> thorough work and PRESS my editors to honor those accurate reports.  But
> again, once I cash the check, the ball is out of my court.
>
> Fact is, if an editor wants to say dinosaurs live and breath in the
> Congo, and attribute that statement to me, I have very few financially
> realistic options beyond taking cover and hoping for the best.

To all of you writers out there: this doesn't have to be the case.
In your contract/letter agreement/whatever, request final approval of
any changes to your submitted text.  It's done all of the time.
You don't have to be Patricia Lauber to get it.  If your publisher
claims to offer non-fiction, then how can they say no to you with a
clear conscience?

Take it from someone who has his finger on the pulse of publishing!

Larry

I'm not interested in how dinosaurs lived
I'm just glad they're dead

Jack Horner as quoted by Dan Quayle