Re: TLW and JP and the accuracy of authors

At 21:26 -0600 14/9/97, kmh wrote:
>Derek Tearne wrote:
>
>> >From what people who know the subject areas of Clancy's novels say,
>> > Clancy is even worse with respect to accuracy than Spielberg
>
>Wait, wait, wait.  Clancy is a friend of mine and although I can't be
>certain, not being an expert in military didley-bobs, it is my
>understanding that the man busts his ass to research his books (so says
>Colin Powell, if that's a military name you can trust).

This was basically my point, even when an author who is not an expert
in a subject 'busts his ass' to research his books he will get a
fair amount wrong.  Now I don't know didley-bobs about the military
stuff either, but I pretty much gave up on Clancy after his depiction
of life in Britain, the behaviour of the royal family and IRA terrorists.

---
Derek Tearne.   ---   @URL Internet Consultants  ---  http://url.co.nz
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.