Re: Feeling cranky this morning

>Farlow@SMTPLINK.IPFW.INDIANA.EDU wrote:
>>
>> In the good-news-and-bad-news department, in today's mail
>> I received a booklet about the infamous Tyrannosaurus named
>> Sue (I hope that it turns out that the beast in question was
>> really a male.  Given all of its injuries, it would be fun to
>> be able to say that life wasn't easy for a boy named Sue). The
>> good news is that it has several gorgeous color photographs of
>> the specimen.  The bad news is that the booklet is a Sotheby's > catalog.
>>
>> <Intemperate remarks to follow; please disregard if any of the
>>  following is offensive>
>>
>> The phrase "bottom-feeders" came irresistibly to mind.  But
>> that's unfair.  I spent several years of my life as a marine
>> biologist studying the food habits of deep-sea crabs and
>> demersal fishes, during which time I developed a great deal
>> of respect for bottom-feeders.
>>
>> You may now draw the appropriate inference....
>>
>> The preceding are my own thoughts and feelings, and do not reflect
>> the official position of anybody else, yadda yadda yadda blah blah
>> blah....
>
>Two things.
>
>1)  My utmost respect and appreciation to Jim Farlow for having the
>    personal integrity and gonads to actually SAY what he thinks
>    (and my compliments...your disclaimers always make me smile).
>
>2)  How can I get this booklet?
>
>*kel

I happened to pass in front of Sotheby's today.
You can imagine an old weird hippie like me entering one of the Most
Ridiculous Places In The World (in my agenda) just to have a look at the
T.rex auction booklet...
I could have bought it (£10) but I thought it would be intrinsically
against my principles. It has an introduction by Phil Currie and some nice
photographs from the first caudal vertebra, ischium, a not so good one of
the skull and reiterative photographs of that famous gigantic tooth. It
also has some photographs of related material like a turtle skull, etc.
Am I wrong (well I am of course...) or wasn't the action of the Federal
Government of the U.S.A. supposed to be done in order to 'save' Sue from
those 'wicked private collectors' and made it available for the people,
scientists and museums?

A Sotheby's auction of a Tyrannosaurus rex as a luxury commodity is one of
the biggest official robberies I can think of. An insult to Science and
people alike.

Luis Rey

Visit my Website on http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~luisrey