Re: New theropod from Montana

At 10:08 AM 9/17/97 -0700, Jonathon Woolf wrote:
>The brouhaha over Sue occurred because of an enormous legal tangle: that
>land was held in trust by the feds for the Sioux Amerinds, but was
>leased to a rancher who then made an agreement that he had no legal
>right to make with the BHI.

   Just a *slight* correction.  Maurice Williams, the rancher in question,
is the OWNER of the land, not a leasor.  The government holds the land in
trust FOR Maurice Williams and his heirs.  The Dept. of Interior, Bureau of
Indian Affairs makes no bones about it:  the owner of the land is Maurice
Williams, not the government and not the Cheyenne River Sioux.  The
difficulties came not because Williams didn't have a right to make the deal,
but because the deal had to be approved by the Dept. of the Interior acting
for the trustee, the US government.

   I'll save the editorial comments on what happened afterwards.....