Montana mystery?

I remember reading in Horner's Complete T. rex that he was able to
immediately identify the bone fragment brought to him as tyrannoaur
just by . . . what was it? . . . smelling it or something?  i've
read of other immediate identification as well.  Why is it then that
this animal can't be identified in the ground?

It seems that if you can measure the entire pubis you can identify
its owner too.  And I'd assume that the pubis isn't the only bone
showing.

Just wondering,
Larry

I'm not interested in how dinosaurs lived
I'm just glad they're dead

Jack Horner as quoted by Dan Quayle