Incredibly preliminary size estimate for new T. rex

Okay, time for a totally unciteable, extraordinarily preliminary size
estimate for the new T. rex from Montana.

Grabbing the description of the type specimen of _T. rex_, I find that it
has a pubis length of 1250 mm (about 49.2 inches).  The new specimen is
reported at 54 inches, or about 10% longer.

Assuming (really unsafe assumption) isometry, the new _T. rex_ would have a
femur length of about 1430 mm (= length of the type (1300 mm) X 1.1), which
is 50 mm (about two inches) longer than the femur of "Sue".  It would be
just about the same femoral length as the type of _Giganotosaurus_
(variously reported as 1430 or 1440 mm).

So, taking these with a MAJOR chunk of halite (i.e., with more than just a
grain of salt...), this seems to be a _T. rex_ to rival the type specimen of
_Giganotosaurus_ now on display at the Academy of Natural Science in
Philadelphia.

Of course, there is that *second* specimen of _Giganotosaurus_ to deal with,
but that's a matter for another time...

P.S.  Assuming I have the time (HAH!), I'll try to hunt up other pubic
lengths in tyrannosaurids, and see how they scale against femur length.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661