Re: T.rex predation

>There's also the possibility that the wounded animals were not the
>Tyrannosaur's
>hunting target. Maybe the wounded hadrosaurs  were just defending their
>nests or their young

Which would imply that the nests and young needed defending from
tyrannosaurs, which implies that tyrannosaurs were out to eat them.
Sounds like they were hunting targets after all (at least the
younguns).

>Why not a scavenger/hunter of small(er) prey?

Something's been on my mind.  Why is the question always, "How do you
know that tyrannosaurs were hunters instead of scavengers?"  I'd take
one look at a tyrannosaur skeleton and ask, "What makes you think
that they were scavengers instead of hunters?"  Is it the size?  Cuz
if that's the case, given the existence of very large allosaurs from
the Morrison (Epanterias, Saurophaganax), Acrocanthosaurus from the
Antlers Formation, and let's not forget Giganotosaurus and
Charcharodontosaurus (did I spell that right?), there are whole host
of 40 foot, 5 ton scavengers roaming the Mesozoic landscape.  I know
that Mesozoic and modern ecosystems are not directly comparable, but
until someone proves to me that bears, tigers, lions, wolves, etc. are
PRIMARILY scavengers and predation is not a significant part of their
existence, I'll be highly skeptical of any claims that all of the
largest Mesozoic terrestrial carnivores were PRIMARILY scavengers.

Well, that ought to drive the spit all the way through.  If you guys
will just turn me from time to time . . .   : )

Matt Wedel