Re: The uses of sickle claws

> >Some on this list have brought up the hypothesis that sabretooths used
> >their impressive teeth to tear out a prey animal's throat; I was
> >wondering, why couldn't a dromy do the same thing?

Thomas Holtze wrote...
> They did.
>
> This is where the foot claw of the _Velociraptor_ in the "fighting
> dinosaurs" pair is placed: within the throat of the _Protoceratops_.

      "Tearing" or just dug in?  Was the motivation for placing the foot
there "kill to eat" or "GET THIS THING OFF OF ME!"?  Letting an animal
your size of larger with a head and beak that large and formidible
compared to your body bowl you over and get its mouth on you just so you
can get your foot in its neck seems like a risky predation strategy.  I
don't know if going for the neck was a usual strategy employed by
dromeosaurs, but it seems likely that the fighting pair _Velociraptor_
(if it really did attack the _Protoceratops_) was not having the hunt
go the way it should at that point.

LN Jeff
O-