Re: The uses of sickle claws

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 06:35 PM 9/18/97 -0700, Sankarah wrote:
> >Just a few thoughts that occurred to me whilst pondering sabretoothed
> >cats (and, uh, whatever):
> >
> >Some on this list have brought up the hypothesis that sabretooths used
> >their impressive teeth to tear out a prey animal's throat; I was
> >wondering, why couldn't a dromy do the same thing?
>
> They did.
>
> This is where the foot claw of the _Velociraptor_ in the "fighting
> dinosaurs" pair is placed: within the throat of the _Protoceratops_.
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Vertebrate Paleontologist     Webpage: http://www.geol.umd.edu
> Dept. of Geology              Email:th81@umail.umd.edu
> University of Maryland        Phone:301-405-4084
> College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        Could this behaviour even have been the impetus for the
later ceratopsians developing horns? It seems that there is a
concentration of armourment at the front end of ceratopsians,
whereas many other dino herbivores seem to have favoured the
tail or hind quaters for active defence (stegos, shunosaurs,
ankylosaurs, diplodocids).
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia
        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj