Re: The uses of sickle claws

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 08:06 AM 9/19/97 -0500, Michael wrote:
>
> >So what's the niche of those predators surrounding T rex?  Were they
> >the hyena of their day?  Did T rex serve as the lion of the day?
>
> Be careful when identifying niches in different environments: they are not
> always duplicated from place to place or time to time.  After all, what is
> the "lion" of modern southeast Asia?

        I'd say the Asian lion. It's only in the last thousand years
or so that they became rare. I know that's not "modern" by most
peoples standards, but it is compared to the Mesozoic.

> Also, to which hyena do you refer?  The brown or striped, which are
> relatively small?  The spotted hyena, which is a powerful pack hunter (and
> occasional scavenger)?

        Or even the merewolf, a close relative of the hyena that eats
nothing but termites!
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia
        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj