Re: The uses of sickle claws

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 06:35 PM 9/18/97 -0700, Sankarah wrote:
> >Just a few thoughts that occurred to me whilst pondering sabretoothed
> >cats (and, uh, whatever):
> >
> >Some on this list have brought up the hypothesis that sabretooths used
> >their impressive teeth to tear out a prey animal's throat; I was
> >wondering, why couldn't a dromy do the same thing?
>
> They did.
>
> This is where the foot claw of the _Velociraptor_ in the "fighting
> dinosaurs" pair is placed: within the throat of the _Protoceratops_.

Not quite what I meant, but a good point nonetheless.  That pair brings
to mind a special I saw on cats last week wherein a cheetah tried to
take down a full-grown wildebeest on its own; you had to feel for the
poor guy, who basically got dragged along for quite awhile before
flipping over and getting tossed.  On the upside, though, he lived.
<Shrug>

Chris