Re: T.rex predation

Chris Campbell wrote:

> Dann Pigdon wrote:
> >
> > Chris Campbell wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > And, actually, this makes perfect sense as a hunting strategy.  Horner's
> > > advanced the idea that _T. rex_ was big to scare off other
> > > predators/scavengers, but what if it was big just to scare off nesting
> > > parents?  Those nests wouldn't be exactly easy to hide, they wouldn't be
> > > mobile at all, and their scent would stick out like a sore thumb
> > > (wonderful for someone with _T. rex's_ sense of smell).
> >
> > Not necessarily. The Indian black buck (a type of antelope) does not
> > have any scent for the first few days of birth. It's not until the
> > fawn (the correct term?) is a few days old and somewhat mobile that
> > its scent glands kick in. Until then it is hidden off in long grass
> > somewhere away from the main herd where it spends much of its time
> > alone just lying still, with the mother coming in to feed it
> > occasionally.
>
> But these aren't deer, they're nesting dinosaurs.  Nests smell, due to
> the combination of food brought by the parents, wastes, many occupants
> of the nest, and so on.  Hadrosaurs couldn't use the same strategies as
> deer.
>
> Chris

        Not all dinosaurs necessarily made nests. Many modern birds
make do with a rough scrape in the ground, or a rock ledge. Fairy
terns balance their eggs precariously on any rock outcrop. I've
even seen them lay an egg on a set of concrete steps! This
sort of behaviour probably wouldn't fossilise well though. As for
nests smelling, many modern nesting birds keep the nest extremely
clean. Some baby birds will wiggle their hind quarters to signal
the parent to get ready to catch a little "bundle" to remove it
from the nest. Some raptors projectile-defecate into the air and
well away from the nest. Parent birds will also remove newly
hatched egg shells, to protect the babies form the sharp edges,
but they also tend to fly them a considerable distance from the
nest, presumedly so that the scent does not attract predators.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj