Re: The uses of sickle claws

Darryl wrote:

> At 10:16 AM 20/09/97 +1000, you wrote:
> >       On second thought (see a previous post on the same topic),
> >I'd say it was just as likely that V.mongoliensis was caught in
> >the act of robbing a nest of eggs/hatchlings.
>
> Dromaeosaur teeth seem like WAY overkill for egg eaters.  They may not pass
> up a free lunch, but I doubt that they only (I know you are not suggesting
> this) looked for the eggs.  Mmmmm..... hatchlings..... reminds me of several
> Larson cartoons.

        Are the teeth that different from those of monitor lizards?
Monitors are the scourge of bird and crocodile alike due to their
fondness of eggs. They also tend to scavenge quite a bit, perhaps
more so that hunting live prey. I'm not suggesting that dromies
(love that word) weren't hunters. I'm just putting forward a few
other possibilities to see what happens. If you can refute them,
then fine, we all learn something. If not then they remain
possibilities.
        As I usually say, I am not a dinosaur expert, just someone
with a few ideas. Take anything I say with a grain of salt, and
by all means please argue with me. Eventually I'll get all of
these erroneous ideas out of my system, learning in the process,
and be the better for it.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj