Re: T.rex predation

At 09:41 AM 9/18/1997 -0700, you wrote:
>On that whole T. rex wimp/supercarnivore dialectic:
>       This has probably been brought up before, but... Aren't most
>vultures unable to smell things (or at least well)? From what I've read,
>most vultures hunt by sight, not smell. Doesn't that kinda debunk the whole
>olfactory lobe-based analogy? Just idle, pre-coffee morning thoughts...
>
>                       --John R. Hutchinson

Among cathartid vultures, the Turkey Vulture does locate its food by
olfaction; Black Vultures and other cathartids, however, do not, and Blacks
will at times follow Turkey Vultures as a guide to the location of food.
According to the "Handbook of the Birds of the World", vol. 2 at p. 27, "B.
Bang has made detailed studies of the brain and olfactory regions of the
skull of Cathartes vultures [the Turkey Vulture and its kin] to demonstrate
that these species have unusually well-developed olfactory lobes to the
brain and nasal regions.  The sense of smell is extremely important to
these birds, and they rely on it entirely to locate food in forests, and
can find carcasses that are completely hidden from view as easily as those
which are visible."
1825 Shady Creek Court