Re: T.rex predation(LONG)..

Hello again all.I have been away for some time due to email
problems.I have been following this thread with some confusion
though.Why are we debating this to begin with? What I'm getting at is
what reasons do we have to even suspect Tyrannosaurus was a scavenger? I
can see NO weaknesses in the animal that would keep it from taking down
prey.Unless I'm mistaken the only things I know of that Horner (and
maybe a few others) have pointed to are 1.small arms 2. legs unsuited to
chasing down prey.This is how I would address those two areas.
ARMS..The argument goes something like this._T. rex_ had very small arms
in proportion to overall body size and thus could not use them to
wrestle with prey the way a modern cat would.....Agreed, but what is the
point?As many of us have pointed out from time to time _most_ modern
predators DO NOT "grapple" with prey.Felids are the one well known
example we have of this at all today.Dogs,hyena,sharks,etc.etc.etc. all
use what Holtz has called the "pursuit and bite" strategy. If that is
the normal strategy taken by most of the planet's predators why would we
even begin to expect that rex was incapable of making a kill without
oversized flexible arms?        LEGS THAT AREN'T DESIGNED FOR THE
CHASE..This is simply a false statement.Holtz,Paul,and most of the rest
of us here
have made the point time and time again that rex has more cursorial limb
proportions than any other animal remotely near it's size range.Doubts
could even be raised concerning the comparison of a theropod's limb
proportions to modern birds and mammals as an estimation of running
potential.Modern birds lack a long bony tail and thus the caudofemoralis
muscle doesn't play a part in running.The same goes with mammals.Plus
isn't the reason running animals have long legs is to increase their
stride length?Just by the leg length of large theropods I would expect
them to be fast animals even if they didn't have a leg design more
suited to running.A large elephant can hit confirmed speeds of 25 mph.
And elephants can't run due to the construction of their ankles.We might
not be able to say with certainty HOW FAST theropods were or HOW STRONG
their legs were, but can anybody look at an elephant's legs and hips in
comparison to those of _Tyrannosaurus_ and say that the theropod wasn't
the faster of the the two? On the wonderful study done by Farlow...One
thing I have been wondering about is if a rex was traveling at say 35
mph and began to stumble how long would it take the animal to decelerate
into the non-lethal impact zone? Most of the time when animals trip they
slow their stride frequency and are able to dramatically drop their
speed by the time they fall.Yes rex and the other giant theropods had an
enormous weight to slow down. But, I'm not talking  about slowing to a
stop..just to a safer speed before eating turf.--Speculation as usual,
Sean C.