Re: Troodon again

In a message dated 97-09-22 12:19:21 EDT, bihari@tigris.klte.hu writes:

<< If some kind of dinosaurs also used some tools ( the Troodon had a perfect
hand
 for that ) how can we find this out? >>

Actually, the maniraptoran hand is >terrible< for delicate handling of tools!
The elongated phalanges, huge unguals, nearly immobile digit I, and
stiffened, relatively inflexible wrist greatly interfere with a grasping
function. Better grasping hands are found in more primitive theropods than
maniraptorans, not the other way around. The maniraptoran hand is the result
of selection for a function >other than< grasping, and you all know what I
think that function was.