Re: Help-info on stegosaur plates #2

Christopher Glen writes:
> Another point I've been looking at is the orientation of the plates.
There
> seems to be a gerneral acceptance of the recent model of one row of
plates,
> with some alternation as proposed by Czerkas.

As much as I respect Stephen Czerkas, I must concede that his view of
_Stegosaurus_ as having a single row of alternating plates has definitely
fallen out of favor of late.  As Dinogeorge has pointed out, other genera
of stegosaurs (the Chinese forms, I believe) have been found which
apparently had a double row of plates, so we would expect to see the same
in _Stegosaurus_, too.

Ken Carpenter and Bryan Small of the Denver Museum of Natural History
excavated a nearly complete _Stegosaurus_, found near Canon City, Colorado
in 1992, which included the skull, a neck shield composed of small bony
knobs, and which preserved the plates and tail spikes in their natural
positions.  Despite preliminary reports that the alternating plates were
arranged in a single row, later reports on the same specimen indicated that
there were two rows of plates.  The four tail spikes were aimed to the
sides and backward.  There was also an indication of more small osteoderms
on the body, but their arrangement was unclear.  The Denver Museum of
Natural History has adjusted their _Stegosaurus_ mount to reflect this new
information.  Hopefully, other museums may follow suit.  I am basing this
information on _The Dino Times_, January 1994, published by the Dinosaur
Society.  The article featured an illustration of the updated _Stegosaurus_
by Berislav Krzic and Brian Franczak.
I don't know, but there may have been a more scholarly account of this in
the respected science journals.

In addition, Stephen Czerkas will present a talk entitled: "How to
interpret life-restorations of stegosaurs" at the SVP meeting on October
10, 1997.  We'll just have to wait and see what he has to say...