Re: Troodon again

Ronald Orenstein wrote:

> At 09:43 PM 9/22/1997 -0400, you wrote:
> >

> >On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Dann Pigdon wrote:
> >>
> >>      Tool use is not necessarily signs of high intelligence. There
> >> are many birds that use tools. I recently saw footage of a
> >> wedge-tailed eagle using a stone to crack open an emu egg, and as
> >
> >Could you tell us how the eagle did this? Thrown, like an Egyptian vulture
> >at an ostrich egg; dropped from a great height, or held in the beak and
> >hammered.  Was it a rockish stone, or merely a pebblish stone?
>
> More to the point, perhaps - are you sure it was a Wedge-tailed Eagle?
> Another Australian raptor, the Black-breasted Buzzard, is well known for
> dropping rocks from the air on Emu eggs.
> --
> Ronald I. Orenstein                           Phone: (905) 820-7886
> International Wildlife Coalition              Fax/Modem: (905) 569-0116
> 1825 Shady Creek Court
> Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          mailto:ornstn@inforamp.net

        Absolutely. There is nothing else that can dwarf an emu
egg like that, and the head is quite distinctive. I have also
seen Bustards (are they the same things as buzzards?) use rocks,
both dropping them and using them as hammers. I doubt any other
species of raptor could have lifted, let alone hammered repeatedly,
a fair sized rock such as the one held in the bird's beak.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj