Re: Troodon again

>        Absolutely. There is nothing else that can dwarf an emu
>egg like that, and the head is quite distinctive. I have also
>seen Bustards (are they the same things as buzzards?) use rocks,
>both dropping them and using them as hammers. I doubt any other
>species of raptor could have lifted, let alone hammered repeatedly,
>a fair sized rock such as the one held in the bird's beak.
>--
>       Dann Pigdon

Bustards are not at all like buzzards!  The Black-breasted Buzzard of
Australia (Hamirostra melanosternon) is a member of the hawk family
Accipitridae, as are the members of the genus Buteo which are called
buzzards in other countries (but not in North America, where the name is
colloquially applied to cathartid vultures).  Bustards are large to very
large long-legged terrestrial birds of the family Otididae.  They are
omnivores with plant material making up the bulk of their diet.  They will
eat eggs on occasion, but I have never heard of them using tools of any
kind.

The story of the Black-breasted Buzzard using rocks on Emu eggs may or may
not be true; it is doubted by Hollands in "Eagles, hawks and Falcons of
Australia" but recorded as fact in the "Handbook of the Birds of the World"
(vol. 2), which notes that the birds will throw rocks at an emu nest from a
standing position.  The HBW makes no mention of Wedge-tailed Eagles doing
anything similar (of course in Africa Egyptian Vultures have been filmed
using rocks to break ostrich eggs).
1825 Shady Creek Court