Re: Gizzard stones

Roger A. Stephenson wrote:

>Hello all,

Do we have direct evidence of gastroliths in any species of dinosaur from
the late Cretaceous. Can we infer from Ankylosaur, Pachcephalosaur, or
Nodosaur teeth such was the case? If so what would be about the right size
for such stones?>

If you look at teeth from dinosaurs we KNOW had gastroliths, like sauropods
(EX: Diplodocus Longus), then you will see they have quite weak teeth for the
job they were assigned.  Diplodocus's teeth were arranged like pencils,
straight and peg like.  We know that these teeth were not designed to shred
plant material, only to separate it from the stem.  Diplodocus was not able
to just digest this food with out chewing it, so it swallowed stones which
ground the food up in a specialized gizzard pocket in the stomach.  If other
animals had teeth incapable of shredding their diet, they probably had
gizzard stones.  And I guess the right size for these stones would be big
enough to do their job, but small enough to swallow.  :)

Chandler Gibbons
Arvada, Colorado