Re: Number of dinosaur species

In a message dated 97-09-23 20:38:00 EDT, endocrin@opera.iinet.net.au writes:

<< So, the grand total is a whopping 2347 species names, but the answer to
your
 question is more likely
 somewhere between 1000 and 1500. >>

I don't think this total includes all published renamings of all named
species; that number might run well over 3000. I had more than 2500 nine
years ago (last time I actually counted). There are also problems with
counting: Does something like _Trachodon (Pteropelyx) grallipes_ count as