PARAVES, OY....

Jon Wagner wrote:
<<Pardon me for mailing before I have fully reviewed Sereno's new
paper, but is it true that Eumaniraptora (= {+_Deinonychus_, + "birds"}?)
and Paraves (= {+_Deinonychus_, + "birds"}?) are both scheduled to be
unveiled at SVP (e.g. are published in the formal abstracts)? Would this
then constitute a case to be resolved using "page priority"? After all,
Padian, Hutchinson, and Holtz (hello!) does come before Wilson and
Sereno...>>

Um, maybe.  Sereno 1997 does not formally define PARAVES, just lists it as
the node linking an undefined Deinonychosauria (which has the implied
topology {_Deinonychus_ + _Stenonychosaurus_}).  There is a footnote for this
taxon name, attributing it to Wilson and Sereno's 1997 (still yet to be
published) sauropod phylogeny paper.  The taxon name MACRONARIA (camarasaurs,
brachiosaurs, titanosaurs etc [probably {_Titanosaurus_ > _Diplodocus_}]) is
attributed to Sereno 1997 as a new taxon in the paper.  I have a hunch that
the footnotes were switched here.

So in any case....  Paraves was never defined formally in Sereno 1997.  I
have not yet seen the SVP abstracts because I have been busy (tomorrow
hopefully), so I am unsure as to whether Paraves and Eumaniraptora are
actually defined, and if so, what their definitions are.

I have a feeling though, that Paraves' definition rests on the definition of
Deinonychosauria as it was used as an anchor taxon in Sereno 1997.  If
Deinonychosauria is defined as {_Deinonychus_ + _Stenonychosaurua_}, then
Paraves becomes a junior subjective synonym of Maniraptoriformes:
{_Deinonychus_ + _Stenonychosaurus_ + _Corvus_} vs {_Ornithomimus_ +
_Corvus_}.  If Deinonychosauria is stem-based {_Deinonychus_ > _Corvus_}, on
the other hand, then Eumaniraptora and Paraves become at least subjective
synonyms of eachother, if not objective ones (I am unsure of the dromaeosaur
anchor for Eumanirpatora), then I think page priority would have to supercede
because, as I stated before, Paraves was only named and not formally defined
in Serenon 1997.

Please correct me if I am blatently wrong on some point here....

Peter Buchholz
Tetanurae@aol.com

One day, I didn't eat for four days