Re: T.rex and elephants

Just to set the record straight, I posted information addressing "Cursorial
Adaptations: (was T.rex and elephants)" on 09-23-97 in response to the
following statement posted by John R. Hutchinson on 09-22-97 at 08:43:

"I don't find it easy to compare theropods and elephants in terms of
anatomy, although the overall hindlimb mechanics of large theropods and
elephants might be similar, who knows?"

I disagreed with the notion that the overall hindlimb mechanics of these
groups should be similar; that is why I felt the need to explore the
subject in more depth.  I see several cursorial adaptations in
tyrannosaurs, but I am willing to concede that the heaviest members of the
clan were probably not as quick as somewhat smaller, more gracile forms.  I
urge interested parties to read the literature and decide for themselves.
Further discussion of dinosaur limb proportions and mechanics will be
presented in two of the symposia at the SVP meeting on Friday, October 10,
1997 in Chicago.

On a related, tangent:

For one scientist's opinion of theropod predatory behavior, your reading
assignment today is _Tyrannosaur Hunting Techniques_ by Thomas R. Holtz,
Jr., which can be conveniently accessed at
<http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/trex/hunting.htm>.  Mr. Holtz spells out the
3 major predatory repertoires of extant "hypercarnivores," and how he
proposes some of the theropod groups fit into these behavioral patterns.

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>