Re: Cursorial adaptations (was T.rex and elephants)

Michael wrote:

> > Date:          Wed, 24 Sep 1997 01:18:41 -0700
> > From:          Chris Campbell <sankarah@ou.edu>
> > To:            dinosaur@usc.edu
> > Subject:       Re: Cursorial adaptations (was T.rex and elephants)
>
>  We have to remember that _T. rex_ didn't have to catch
> > its prey; they're slow enough that closing the distance isn't the
> > problem.  Being able to get around things like pokey horns would be a
> > good thing, however, and high mobility would help that.  Being able to
> > get at the prey before help arrives (you know those big, lumbering tanks
> > of herbivores won't be turning about very quickly) would also be a very
> > good thing.
> Why would prey necessarily be slow?  Rhino are not slow nor unagile
> and are comparable in size to triceratop(what's the plural?).
> Whether they did run fast is for the imagination unless someone comes
> up with the tracks.
>
> Michael

        This is going back a few years now, so the data is probably
out of date, but I seem to recall estimates for the top speed of
some large hadrosaurs to have been greater than that for tyrannosaurs.
I seem to recall reading this when the Great Russian Dinosaur
exhibition was having its final showing at Monash Uni here in
Victoria, Australia. A saurolophus mount was located near to a
tarbosaurus mount, and I remember the hadrosaur's hind limb bones
appeared stockier than those of the tyrannosaur. Although the
tarbosaur's long gracile legs made it "look" faster, I remember
thinking that the more robust legs of the hadrosaur "looked" better
able to withstand prolonged stresses from running. These were just
visual impressions mind you.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj