Dinosaur skeleton damaged in the Netherlands

Hello everybody,

I have here an article from a local newspaper (Het Utrechts
Nieuwsblad, it's from wednesday, the 24th of september 1997) that I
have some questions about. Of course it's in Dutch, but I'll just
translate it myself as literally as I can. Here goes.

*** BEGIN (TRANSLATED) QUOTE ***

Dino-skeleton to pieces on the street

ANP
Den Haag
===-----
A Dutch transportation company recently dropped a 75 million year old
skeleton from a dinosaur in Den Haag. The Hypacrosaurus was damaged
so much that it had to be brought back to a repair company in Canada.
This was made public by the Museon, the museum in Den Haag where the
skeleton would be displayed, yesterday.

Together with eight other skeleton the animal would be part of the
"The Lost World" exposition that will be opened tomorrow.
    Yesterday nothing was known yet about the damage to the
Hypacrosaurus (which is part of the order of the duckbill dinosaurs).
The damage occured because the transporters drove down a loading ramp
with the loading doors of the truck open. Parts of the dinosaur fell
uit en were damaged. The Museon was so shocked that they did not make
this news public immediately. "You can compare it with a Van Gogh
that falls to pieces on the floor Some of the people here were
litterally crying."
According to a spokesman twee Canadians have worked for two years on
the mounting of the authentic skeleton. It represents a value of
approximately 300,000 guilders. The dino was found in Montana, in the
US, and then transferred to Canada. Because of the fall in the
Netherlands pieces broke off of the skeleton. The Museon does expect
the whole thing to be repaired in a month. Then it can be be admired
in Den Haag again.
    The reason for the dino-exhibit in the Museon is de latest movie
from Steven Spielberg, which will open tomorrow. "The Lost World" is
the sequal to the box-office succes "Jurassic Park" from 1994. Then
dino-lovers could also come to the Museon, where the set from
"Jurassic Park" had been partially rebuilt. "Those skeletons were
only casts. For some people the fascination was sort of missing
because of this", says Ard Smit of the Museon.

    To prevent this from happening the museum now shows some
authentic fossil skeletons from the late Cretaceous, aproximately 75
million years ago. The fossils were found in the reservation of the
Blackfeet indians in the American state of Montana and are owned by
the Canadian company Canada Fossils, a company of René van der Velde
from Holland.
    He is the owner of the reservation which is a goldmine for
dino-experts. "Unemployment rates with the Blackfeet are about 80%.
By letting them work on digs I help them and they help me", Van der
Velde explains.
    According to him dino-skeletons aren't that rare at all. "In the
reservation are at least six more skeleton. It will take years before
a skeleton is completely excavated and assembled however. That
operation is very expensive."  That's why Van der Velde only digs up
very remarkable fossils. Like the skull of the chasmosaurus, that can
be seen at the Museon. "It's a 'new' kind of dino, nobody had ever
heard of."

*** END QUOTE ***

And here are my questions:

1. Has any of you on the list heard about this already? (It could
even be that it's been on the list already; I've still have to
sift throught about 120 messages that I've not read so far.)

2. Has any of you any more information about the named dinosaur
specimens (is the Hypacrosaurus named the one I found mentioned in
one of my books as found in the spot mentioned in this article in
1991)?

3. Am I right that Chasmosaurus is not a new dinosaur at all, and
that probably some information got mangled again between the ultimate
source and the newspaper article?

4. Does the company of the Dutchman René van der Velde really exist (in that
case I've missed some dino information that's of special interest to
me, since I'm Dutch ;-)) and if so what exactly does it do and has it
already done

Thanks for your replies.

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:jpeschie@cs.ruu.nl    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej