Re: Dinosaurs in India

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:24:53 +0100 "Mark F. Tritsch"
<tritsch@MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE> writes:
>In July this year I read the following in an Indian newspaper report:
>
>"Geological Survey of India sources said that fossils of dinosaur
>bones, teeth and eggs dating to the Eocene geological period had been
>found in Kuchcim Khera and Dahod areas of Gujarat adjoining the
>Banswara district of Rajasthan. Over the past one-and-a-half decade
>excavations have suggested that this western part of the country was
>inhabited by dinosaurs during the Eocene period.
>
>Recently fossils of eggs of the extinct giant reptile were found in
>the Dahod region by a GSI team led by Dr U B Mathur. In 1982,
>geologists had found fossils of bones of dinosaurs in Rahioli village
>of Khera district in Gujarat. Eggs fossils of dinosaurs were later
>found in Dholidhanti, Merakheri and Vaniavav areas of Dahod region in
>the Panchmahal district."
>
>Does this make any sense to anybody? I would be grateful for
>information on the current status of knowledge on Dinosaurs in India.
>I'm a zoologist but not a palaeontologist, collecting
>material for a popular book on Indian nature. Are there any recent
>publications that could be recommended on the subject?
>
>With thanks in advance for any help!
>
>Mark Tritsch

It sounds like an under-educated journalist is writing for an
under-educated audience. The writer seems to think that "Dinosaur" was
just one animal. He says "fossil eggs of the extinct giant reptile".
Perhaps you should try to contact the organization GSI or the doctor
mentioned. Of course I don't have any idea how to go about that, but it's
where I would start.