Re: MESOZOIC MAMMALS

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:55:14 -0600 (MDT) Jeffrey Martz
<martz@holly.ColoState.EDU> writes:

>       Sorry to clutter the list with this, so I'll try to include a
>little relevancy.  Please reply off list unless it has to do with
>number
>6. I am looking for relatively up to date information and technical
>references on the following:
>
>1)  Triconodonts from the Cloverly Formation, in particular one that
>    should have been published around 1980 or so by Jenkins
>
>2) The nature of pelycosaur skin.  I have heared mention that it was
>more
>   likely to be glandular or keratenized then scaled, and I would like
>   some information.  Why is it assumed that scales are a "reptile"
>   (cladist usage) rather then amniote synapomorphy?  Are hairs
>derived
>   from scales, or derived in some other way from the epidermis?  My
>   Mammalogy T.A insinuated that beaver, rodent, etc... tail scales
>are
>   evoltuionary holdovers of eary synapsid scales.  Is he full of it?
>

>3) The status of amphilestids.  Are they still included with the
>   triconodonts?
>
>4) Is the ventral process on docodont jaws homologous with the angular
>   process of therians, or the similar feature on monotremes?
>
>5) ANY sort of post-1979 (publication date of "Mesozoic Mammals", my
>main
>   reference) overveiw of Mesozoic mammal evolution.
>
>6) Papers or discussion of the place of mammals, particularly
>DIFFERENT
>   mammal groups, in Mesozoic small vertebrate ecology.
>
>P.S.; would it have KILLED them to do the IMAX documentary style?  Why
>are
>      they cluttering things up with Quanternary naked apes?
>
>LN Jeff
>O-

Please send whatever information you may have to me too. This topic fits
in well with my current research project. I don't think it would be a bad
idea to post it to the list as well since we stand to understand more
about dinosaurs if we broaden our understanding of the rest of the
ecology at the time (and what led up to it).
Thank you!

Christopher.