Large animal locomotion

Despite their great weight, which in African elephants reaches 7000 kg
(15,400 lb) and in Indian elephants reaches 5000 kg (11,000 lb),
elephants walk almost noiselessly and with exceptional grace, their
columnar legs keeping their bulk moving forward in smooth, rhythmic
strides. A thick cushion of resilient tissue grows on the base of the
foot, absorbing the shock of the weight and enabling the animal to
walk high on its hooflike toes. Elephants normally walk about 6.4 km/h
(about 4 mph) and can charge at up to 40 km/h (25 mph). They cannot
gallop or jump over ditches, but they readily take to rivers and
lakes, where the water supports them and enables them to swim for long
distances without tiring.

Elephant," Microsoft(R) Encarta(R) 96 Encyclopedia. (c) 1993-1995
Microsoft Corporation.
                       All rights reserved. (c) Funk & Wagnalls
                       Corporation. All rights reserved.

Now I don't call encyclopedias the end all of referneces, but I would
like to know where they got there information and I will try.

Michael