Re: ELEPHANTS CANNOT EXCEED ~12 MPH!

GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> I KNEW someone would attempt to continue to argue that elephants can move at
> high rates of speed, and Chris & Michael did so. It cannot be overemphasized
> that this is simply not true.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

> For a multi-tonne animal to move at 20-25 mph it would have to be
> galloping!!!! This is predicted by scaling of the trot-gallop transition, and
> by the example of rhinos which gallop at these speeds. Have timed them from
> videos. The laws of physics and animal biomechanics prevent a giant animal
> from walking faster than about 12 mph. The stride frequency would have to be
> impossibly high, twice what is attainable.  The very fast elephant in the
> race I timed was at its maximum possible stride frequency, so it obviously
> WAS going at its fastest speed. No one has ever documented an elephant moving
> faster than ~12 mph by a rigorous means. In science that means that higher
> speed claims are unverified until proven.

And how are you defining rigorous?  I rate Kingdon's work among the best
out there; if you're done comparable studies with different results,
publish the things and be done with it.  Until then, you're blowing
smoke.

> So those who wish to claim that elephants can move faster need to prove it is
> so. Until then I suggest they sit down and work out the stride frequency
> required, and see if they can explain out how an elephant can walk as fast as
> a rhino gallops in a charge!

No, if you want to prove it isn't so you have to discredit the quite
reputable data saying it is so.  Yap all you want about biomechanics,
until you have the data it doesn't mean squat.  If an elephant's been
reliably recorded doing 20 mph, your explanation needs to be revised.

Chris