Re: ALBERTOSAURUS

At 03:39 PM 9/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm checking into the location of specimins of Albertosaurus which have
>been discovered in the continental U.S. There appears to be a large
>amount of literature in Canada about Albertasaurus, but I have been
>unable to find any info if the dinosaur was ever found in the U.S. Does
>anyone know of any discoveries or specimins found in the U.S. or is the
>species indiginous to Canada only.
>Glenn

Note: most references to "Albertosaurus" are inaccurate.  They in fact are
specimens of the genus Gorgosaurus, a distinct form.  True Albertosaurus (A.
sarcophagus) is best known from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation of Alberta,
which has very few fossil-bearing equivalents in the U.S. (the Meeteetsee
Fm. being one).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661