Re: ALBERTOSAURUS

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> At 03:39 PM 9/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >I'm checking into the location of specimins of Albertosaurus which have
> >been discovered in the continental U.S. There appears to be a large
> >amount of literature in Canada about Albertasaurus, but I have been
> >unable to find any info if the dinosaur was ever found in the U.S. Does
> >anyone know of any discoveries or specimins found in the U.S. or is the
> >species indiginous to Canada only.
> >Glenn
>
> Note: most references to "Albertosaurus" are inaccurate.  They in fact are
> specimens of the genus Gorgosaurus, a distinct form.  True Albertosaurus (A.
> sarcophagus) is best known from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation of Alberta,
> which has very few fossil-bearing equivalents in the U.S. (the Meeteetsee
> Fm. being one).
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Vertebrate Paleontologist     Webpage: http://www.geol.umd.edu
> Dept. of Geology              Email:th81@umail.umd.edu
> University of Maryland        Phone:301-405-4084
> College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

Thanks for the info. One lister was kind enough to put me on to the
DINOSAUR UNIVERSITY (AUBURN UNIVERSITY) where Dr. King describes an
Albertosaurus find in 1982 around Montgomery, Alabama. As a professional
paleontologist, is there contention that this find may be something
other than Albertosaurus? Let me know what you think if you get a
chance.
Thanks
Glenn Toca
New Orleans