Animal speeds

There has been much controversy over the top speeds of
animals over the years. No-one can seem to agree on just how fast
a cheetah is, and although more recent attempts claim to have a
definitive answer, well, we've heard that before. The same seems
to be true of elephants in recent postings. What I want to know
is: given the problems associated with the usual methods of
calculating speed, has anyone ever bothered to just point an accurate
radar gun, or an equivalent laser device, at the things?
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj