Black Hills Institute

This Press release was posted by the Black Hills Institute of Geological

Research, regarding the Sotheby's auction scheduled for this Saturday
October 4th.  It is copied here in its entirety.
---------------------------Press Relese--------------------------
Rapid City, South Dakota businessman and Philanthropist Dr. Stanford M.
Adelstein will be among those bidding for Tyrannosaurus rex "Sue" at
Sotheby's famed auction house in New York on October 4.

Adelstein is an associate of the Black Hills Institute of Geological
Research in Hill City South Dakota.  Institute scientists discovered
"Sue" in 1990 and lost her in a controversial court battle over
ownership.

The prominent entrepreneur, chairman of Hills Materials Company, says he

hopes to "bring "Sue" home to South Dakota, where she lived, where she
died, and where she belongs."

A long time supporter of cultural and artistic enunciators in the
region, Adelstein currently serves on the board of the Journey Museum in

Rapid City.  He is former chairman of the Rapid City Chamber of
Commerce.

"I've been active in Western South Dakota for a long time," Adelstein
said, "but this is the first time I've been involved with a 65-million
year-old treasure."

However, his interest in "Sue" focuses not on her past, but on the
future.  "We want to ensure that the fossil is made available to
scientists all around the world, to the general public, and especially
to our children and grandchildren who are so eager to learn about
dinosaurs," he said.

Adelstein's attention was drawn to "Sue", the largest and most complete
Tyrannosaurus rex ever found, when she was taken from his home state to
New York for sale.  "The world renown paleontologists who discovered
"Sue" spent nearly two years working on her restoration," Adelstein
said.  "It makes sense that they continue their excellent work on this
rare specimen."

Black Hills Institute president Peter Larson commended Adelstein, an
adjunct professor at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology,
for his support of this important scientific endeavor.  "We are proud to

be associated with Dr. Adelstein," Larson said, "and we are grateful for

this tremendous vote of confidence.

Whether Adelstein's bid is successful depends upon the level of interest

of other institutions and private collectors.  Larson says that he and
his team of paleontologists, who spent over $200,000 on "Sue's"
collection and preparation, know her intimately and have established a
maximum bid for the fossil.  "While "Sue's " history began with us, and
we are passionate about her, there is a limit to her financial value,"
Larson says.  "We can't forget the amount of work remaining to complete
her restoration, and the hundreds of thousands of dollars yet to be
invested in that effort."

Adelstein agrees.  "I must rely on the judgment of the experts, and will

not bid beyond the limit they recommended," he said.  Adelstein will not

reveal the agreed-upon amount.  "I haven't booked "Sue's" seat on the
flight home yet," Adelstein added, "but we're keeping our fingers
crossed."

George Winters