Handedness

At 08:45 PM 30/09/97 +0000, pattihm@pop.mindspring.com wrote:

>While this is a "bit" off topic . . but only slightly, in the process
>of wondering how right or left handedness might effect this question
>I wondered if research has come up dinosaur skeletons that show
>clearly an animals predilection . . for one or the other.  Are the
>bones heavier in a dromaeosaur's favored arm/leg?

I remember seeing some research which showed evidence of 'handedness'
in trilobites (or their predators).  Predation marks on trilobites
in a particularly rich fauna were predominantly on one side of the
exoskeleton.  This could be due to either poorer reactions on the
part of the trilobites when required to escape or defend themselves
from their non-dominant side - or a preferred direction of attack
due to left-right dominance in the predator - or a combination of
both.

I personally think that it would be more remarkable if there were
*no* evidence of 'handedness' in dinosaurs.

---
Derek Tearne.   --   derek@iprolink.co.nz   --    http://url.co.nz/   --
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.