RE: Survival

> I am inclined to think Nessie is mostly hype, yet there are
>undiscovered and unusual organisms out there. Architeuthis Dux, Komodo
>Dragon, Jurassic trees, Megamouth Shark! A vietnamese antelope with nose
>slits along the muzzle! I think these images have alot to say about
>keeping an open mind towards Craig's original questions.

I think they do, to, but not what you may think they say.  (PS - the
"antelope"
is actually more along the liners of a primitive ox.  It is the saola,
Pseudoryx nghetinensis).  With the exception of the giant squid, which has
been
known from specimens for over a century now, none of these are typical
"cryptozoological" animals - ie things rumoured to exist for years, and
subject
to many reported sightings, before being "discovered" by science.  Though
often
perfectly well known to local people, new discoveries of this sort tend to be
totally unsuspected by the "outside world" until scientists begin to study
their areas - then they turn up in short order.  The saola was discovered -
from skulls on a villager's hut - the FIRST DAY Mackinnon's team arrived in
the
area!

On the other hand, in the forty years since Huevelmans first published "On the
Track of Unknown Animals", surely a cryptozoologist's bible, NOT ONE of the
animals he discusses has shown up (except the so-called "pygmy elephant" which
was actually exhibited in zoos prior to the book - a case of status, not
discovery).

My view is that the saola and other new discoveries tell us that new finds
will
be total surprises, and that the more critters like mkole-mbembe or bigfoot
are
seen by everyone except the people best trained to recognize them for what
they
are, without hard proof in hand, the less likely IMHO they are to exist.
1825 Shady Creek Court