DIATRYMIDS

According to Andors (he is a male, not a female) the enviroments of
diatrymids were probably humid, well-vegetated backswamps.  I agree that
the depositional evidence is not direct evidence that diatrymids
inhabited swamps, but it does make the case more convincing that they
occupied swamps; alluvial floodplains are usually wet in some (most)
times of the year.  Of course, the big problem for me is whether Andors
is trying to show that diatrymids inhabited actual swamps (standing
water with trees) or marshes (no trees, little standing water, mostly
grass).  He makes no distinction between the two and uses the terms
alternately.

Diatrymids are probably most closely related with anseriforms, possibly
allied with anhimids (screamers).  Andors considered them intermediate
between galliforms and anseriforms in osteology.  I am skeptical with
this view and I think that most of the evidence points to a grouping
within the Anseriformes.

Matt Troutman