Re: Survival

Craig Heinselman wrote:

> List,
>
>         Many of you are more knowledgeable on dinosaur matters than
> me, butI wish to submit a question or two for perusal:
>
> 1) What are the possibilities that certain dinosaur species survived
> into "recent history" (i.e. last 2000 years) in isolated areas of the
> world?

If you count modern avians as "dinosaurs" (and they have as much right
as anyone), then the odds are pretty good.  I believe that the
Crocodile
and the Alligator have survived with very little change since the
Cretaceous so they might qualify too.

> 2) What are the possibilities that aquatic reptiles, such as
> plesiosaur, survived into "recent history" in the oceans/seas of the
> world?
>
> 3) What are the possibilities that aquatic reptiles survived into
> "recent history" in inland lakes, such as Loch Ness?

Crocodiles and alligators certainly qualify here.

However, something like a plesiosaur in Loch Ness is very unlikely.
For
a species to survive it needs a breeding population.  It is very hard
imagine a body like Loch Ness hiding a population of large saurians
with
no more than I-saw-it-walking-home-from-the-pub type evidence.  Humans
have inhabited that area for thousands of years.  Bodies should have
washed ashore, Monasteries should have relics but all we have are
legends and travelers' tales.  There are just too many ways that an
animal that size would leave behind evidences of its existence for me
accept that it didn't happen once in all these years.

--
Stephen Carville
stscarville@worldnet.att.net